St Mark's, Surbiton Neighbourhood
|Phone:||020 8390 5630|
|Address:||Liberal Democrat Group Office|
|Kingston Upon Thames|
Election statement 2014
I have lived in Surbiton for over 42 years, and been a Liberal Democrat member since 1992. I’ve been married for 37 years, with a 34 year old son, who was a former Councillor in Berrylands Ward, and we have two beautiful grand children aged 3 and 2 years and we fully enjoy looking after them when ever possible.
I am a local, committed and enthusiastic Surbiton resident; I have worked in excess of 40 years and have a very good knowledge of the Royal Kingston. Over the last past 12 years, I have been serving the local residents as one of the elected Councillors for the St. Mark's ward to date, as a Chair & Co-Chair of Surbiton Neighbourhood for a total of 7 years and also as the Mayor of The Royal Borough of Kingston Upon Thames, 2005/06.
My extensive experience with local community groups will help me to represent the residents of Kingston both as local a Councillor and community activist and I honestly believe that my record of enthusiasm and hard work benefits society in Kingston. I was also recognized by the Queen's Honours list as MBE on 31st Dec. 2010 - for Community Relations and Local Government Services.
My professional background is as a Local Authority Officer for 27 years, specializing in Personnel, Human Resources and Management Services with Royal Boroughs of Kensington & Chelsea and Greenwich Councils. A previous 6 years of experience with various industries included Engineering and related domains.
It is the commitment of Kingston Liberal Democrats to ensure that all sections of the local community are represented that has convinced me to stand for re-election. My strong beliefs, energy, enthusiasm and full commitment in helping local people and the community via number of locally well established organisations, where I am a part of their management committee. I am a people person and also firmly believe in working as a part of a team.
Some of the organisations which I have been working in my time as a community activist and Kingston Councillor include:
- Kingston Council (Elected 2002 – present, Mayor 2005-06)
- Former Chair and Vice Chair for a total of 6 years of Kingston Racial Equality Council (KREC)
- Former Trustee of Kingston Victim Support (KVS)
- One of the founders & activist of Kingston Institute of Tamil Culture - 1986 to 2008
- Founder & Chair of Surrey Lankians Cricket Club, since 1986 to date
- Founder, Chair & Vice Chair of Special Olympics Surrey (SOS)- this provides local sports training for competition locally, nationally and internationally for people 8 to 80 years of age with Learning Disabilities, giving opportunities to develop skills and friendship, physical fitness and self confidence, etc.
- Active Rotarian with The Rotary Club of Surbiton and I was the President 2012/13, raising funds for local charities.
- Activist with the annual Surbiton Festival and Surbiton Businesses Community.