Surbiton Liberal Democrats, have been campaigning for 20mph in the town centre and residential roads since 2014.
You can read details of our campaign to get 20mph here.
Why Go 20mph?
Put simply, experience from other UK towns and cities show that reducing speed limits to 20mph:
- Reduce accidents and causalities
- Create a better environment
- Encourage more walking and cycling
“Some people think it’s an anti-car idea, but the truth is it doesn’t slow down car journeys, or damage the environment. It just makes our streets better for everyone – especially children and older people,” says Councillor Diane White.
“When they introduced 20mph across residential roads in Portsmouth, they saw an 18% drop in accidents in those roads – that’s an improvement worth having a few extra signs,” added Councillor Sushila Abraham.
To see the facts behind many misconceptions see our 20mph myth buster.
- Spread the word – on facebook and twitter, with friends and neighbours, school gates and work places.
- Sign up to help us campaign for a safer, a more sensible 20mph in Surbiton.